Friday, October 22, 2010

Home Is Where The Fog Is - Chapter One: "R-D-F"

Almost any Newfoundlander worth his or her salt (or salt meat) knows that "R-D-F" refers to "rain, drizzle, and fog".  It's as familiar as the smell of homemade bread ... or the feel of your childhood bedroom ... or the sound of jingling bells in December.  For those of us who have moved away, rain, drizzle, and fog means you're "home".

According to Environment Canada, I'll be feeling very much at "home" for the next 6 days ...

I was traveling to St. John's to perform in a fantastic concert happening on Saturday, October 23rd, called "Hot Jazz, Cool Nights", and featuring 2 amazing choirs and a big band.  I had to arrive early for rehearsals, promotion, etc.

The trip began in pretty much the same way that I live my life on a day-to-day basis ... frantically.  I arrived at Pearson, checked in, went through security and followed the friendly, smiling, chatty people in comfortable travel clothes, knowing they had to be Newfoundlanders heading home.  Sure enough, they got me to my gate.

Upon arrival in St. John's, I was met with the familiar scenes from each of my trips home:  the rugged coast line, white caps on the Atlantic just below the plane as we approached the somewhat challenging run way, the grey skies, the slight trace of fog patches, the stream of rain as it landed on the window and slid sideways off the glass.  It was beautiful!!

There are certain things about St. John's that give the city its character.  One of them was the first thing I noticed while at the airport:  everyone knows someone and there's always time for a chat.  I got my luggage from one of the two (yes, 2) baggage carousels at the terminal (yes, terminal - singlular) and was heading for the parking lot when I heard:  "Lord Jesus, luh, it's Heather!"  ("Luh" in Newfanese means "look".)  It was "Libby", mother of my high school friend, who works with the Department of Tourism.  Of course, she immediately left her post at the information booth and came over for a hug and a chat.  (The other thing about St. John's is that scheduling and all its formalities are second to socializing.  The tourists in need of assistance were just going to have to wait a moment.)  We had a brief chat, during which Libby told me about my life ...

Lib:  "You're home for the big show on Saturday."
HB:  "Oh, yes"
Lib:  "And, sure, you're doin' 'Out of the Fog' this evening, aren't you?" (* "Out of the Fog" is a television show on our local Rogers Cable channel.)
HB:  "Yup"
Lib:  "And I hear your sister is in Toronto with you now."
HB:  "Uh-huh"
Lib:  "That's great.  Now, listen, you better go, now, 'cause you have to head to the tv station and rehearse."
HB:  "Yes, b'y"  (* My accent comes out when I'm home.)
Lib:  "Alright, my Darling, well have a great show on Saturday, and I'll say 'hi' to Jennifer for you."
HB:  "Please do, Lib.  God love ya!"
  

Now, some people might find it slightly disconcerting that so many people in St. John's can tell you all about your life.  I, personally, love the fact that if my computer hard drive ever crashes, I have an automatic back-up.  (And, it's nice to reboot over a cup of tea ... )

My Dad and I loaded my luggage into the car and we headed home so I could get ready for my television appearance.  The other thing about St. John's is that everything is very close, and even rush hour traffic isn't bad by Toronto standards.  And if you want proof, check this out ...

At 4:22, we departed the St. John's airport and from there, the following things occurred:

- I had a phone conversation with Bill Brennan and we discussed the songs we would perform on the tv show
- I arrived home and unpacked my luggage
- I changed clothing, and did my hair and make-up preparation for the show
- I  had a cup of tea and some toast  (* I usually consume an exorbitant volume of tea while at home.  I don’t know what it is … the water, the Tetley, the milk … whatever it is, it causes me to “out-tea” the entire case of Coronation Street! )
- I drove across town to the television station (during rush hour)

And, I arrived at the television station .... at 5:19.  Yes, folks, all that in less than an hour!

Bill Brennan and I recorded “Out of the Fog” with no fuss, no muss!  I love playing with Bill.  I also noticed just how much my accent comes out when I’m here.  I’d been in St. John’s for less than 2 hours and I did much of the interview with a St. John’s Drawl that would put Mary Walsh to shame!!

With rush hour still well underway (it was now about 6:10 pm) I braced myself for the ride across town to my parents’ house.  I arrived home at 6:20.

The second thing about St. John’s that gives it its character is a particular method of driving.  Drivers in St. John’s (if not in all of Newfoundland) are oh-so-very gracious.  They’ll stop in the middle of the road to allow another driver to make a left-hand turn in front of them.  They’ll forgo making a green light in order allow a pedestrian to cross the street.  And – best of all – they will drive with enough space in between cars so as to allow those of us who now live “up along” to weave in and out of traffic, thereby marveling at our ability to make it from one end of town to another in 8 minutes or less.  Fantastic!!

I returned home to the a dinner that was just enough Newfoundland and just enough “Mama Bambrick healthy”:  baked cod (possibly caught 45 minutes prior to being put in the oven), long grain brown rise and steamed green beans.  (I am the only person who is able to come home to her mother’s cooking and lose weight!  It’s great!)

Following dinner and another cup of tea (cup #2), I headed out to sit in on a choir rehearsal being conducted by my dear friend, after which we decided to go out for a quick drink to catch up.  It was her suggestion to go to a pub called “Big Ben’s” as there would be little chance of anyone knowing / interrupting us there, so we could have a nice chat.  After the third person entered the pub, saw us, and came over to the table to say “hi”, we decided to call it a night.  But not before she told me some fantastic stories about what’s been going on in the music community here in the city over the last little while.

I have to share with you one of the stories regarding a production of “Hairspray” that had just finished its run.  The production was a great success but didn’t go off without some typical difficulties, some in the way of casting.  You see, over the decades, if not centuries, Newfoundland has been populated by West Country Fishermen and, consequently, the population is of a mainly Irish, British, Scottish, and Welsh background.  In other words, the people here in St. John’s are pretty ... well, uhm, let’s see … how do I put this?  OK, I’ll just say it:  white.  So, in order to get some characters with some soul / r & b essence, he producers had to scout outside of the province.  Thus, the more “soulful” actors were known as “the Mainlanders”.  I love it!  Welcome to Newfoundland!

Day One came and went in no time.  Now I have to concentrate on learning music before the rehearsal tomorrow … which means no interruptions … which means I can’t leave my house - certainly not to go to Big Ben's again!

No comments:

Post a Comment